Servicing greater Perth and Western Australia.


Read through some of the most frequently asked questions in regards to our services.
Do you do small residential jobs?

We are happy to quote on any structural job and we deal with a wide range of clients from homeowners with one off projects to companies such as architects, builders and designers.

How long will my job take?

As a general rule, for standard small jobs we will endeavour to finish the job within one week from the job being booked in or where we need to complete an inspection, one week from the date of the inspection. Please note that these times are just a guideline. If you do have specific time frames to meet, please discuss this with us prior to booking your project in.

I need an engineer to do a structural inspection, how much advance notice do you need?

We will generally be able to book an inspection at your property within 2 or 3 days.

Do you do jobs outside of the Perth metro area?

Yes. We cover all metro Perth from Yanchep to Mandurah but our projects have seen us travel to Dandaragon in the North, down to Albany in the south and as far east as York.Should your project be outside of these areas, please give us a call and we will let you know if we are able to travel to your area.

What do I need to provide for you to give me a firm quote?

This is dependent on the type of project.

All Projects – Client Name, Client Address, Client Phone Number, Client Email Address, Type of project (ie, wall removal), Job Address, Building Type (house, single or double storey).

Extensions / New Builds / Fences – We require architectural drawings.

Wall Removal – Whether the wall to be removed is internal or external wall, number of walls to be removed and are they in the same area of the house.

Unauthorised Works – Plans of the work done if they are available.

You can call us on 08 9409 4843 or email us at to give us the project details.

Can you provide certification for unauthorised / retrospective works?

Yes. The first step towards structural certification of unauthorised works is for one of our engineers to attend site to view and measure up the unauthorised works area. They will then come back to the office and calculate whether the works are structurally adequate or not. If further works need to be done to bring the works up to standard, we will provide you with recommendations to do this. Once the works are deemed structurally adequate, we will provide a letter of structural certification.

As a general rule, all unauthorised work must also be certified by a building surveyor. The building surveyor must sign off either a BA3 (Certificate of design compliance), BA17(Certificate of construction compliance) or BA18(Certificate of building compliance) certificate so that you can lodge an application for building approval with your council. We can organise the building surveyor sign off for you through Specialised Building Services.

Do I need council approval to remove a wall in my house?

We believe that you should gain council approval for any wall removal as you are structurally altering the property.

Do you submit to council on my behalf?

No. We do not submit documents to council however, we will provide you with everything you need to enable you to fill in the forms to submit to council.

What payment options do you offer?

It is B. Waddell Consulting Engineer’s policy to ensure payment is received on all projects prior to releasing any documents/drawings.

We will send through an invoice before the job is completed with the option of paying online by credit card, by direct deposit to our bank account or by cheque or cash. Please note that we cannot release documents or drawings without proof of payment (ie, bank receipt. Our online credit card facility will notify us immediately of your payment).

The council have noted minor amendments to be made to my drawings. Will there be a fee to make changes?

As long as there are only minor changes, we are happy to make the changes free of charge. We will let you know prior to starting if there will be a charge for the modifications.

I need my job tomorrow but you state your turnaround is one week. Can you help?

We will always endeavour to meet your timelines where it is possible. Call us on 08 9409 4843 and we will let you know if we can make the deadline.